Sunday 23 June 2013

PJ party - Tofino style

When I was reviewing my handmade PJ's situation a few weeks ago, I must say, it wasn't very encouraging. One pair that I made last year is still in circulation, but the other pair has been sent off for textile recycling, tragically pimpled beyond belief. Just as I was gearing myself up to think about making a new pair, Karen announced her PJ sewalong. Hoorah, just the boot up the arse I needed. I bought the pattern - Sewaholic Tofino -  chose the fabric, sewed them up..... And? They're a fine, classy pair of PJ bottoms, that's what. 



Size wise, I started with a Sewaholic size 10 waist, tapering down to a size 6 at the hips. My waist is actually a size 8 but I didn't want these trousers to be tight - they're designed for lounging after all. And my style of lounging doesn't involve any holding in of the stomach. At all.  By shortening the leg length by about four inches, I was also able to squeeze these out of two metres of fabric rather than the three yards the pattern advises - yes! The fabric I used is a lovely, duck-egg coloured quilting cotton which has a nice, crisp medium weight, perfect for PJ bottoms. I nabbed it at a blogger meet up in Walthamstow a couple of months ago, courtesy of Tilly - thanks Tilly!


The pattern instructions are perfectly clear, but for this make, I didn't bother with the instructions, preferring to see each step explained in glorious technicolour by Karen as part of the sewalong. If you're new to sewing and fancy an easy beginner project, then you should really have a look at her PJ sewalong posts - they're a great resource. 

My PJ bottoms sewed together without a hitch, but I really, really wish I'd left the piping off. The lesson I learnt here is that not all piping is created equally. I bought piped bias binding which is absolutely fine if you want a lovely piped edge on your cushion. Not quite so good on a pair of PJ bottoms. It's way too thick for starters - oh how I wish I'd bought some that was a bit finer and more delicate looking. This point was rammed home when I was trying the trousers on, and they kept reminding me of something. Then my son came home from school in his PE kit and the penny dropped. Yes, with their thick, white piping, my PJ's have more than a whiff of tracksuit bottoms about them....

Showing off his tracksuit bottoms - through the medium of street dance

Never mind eh?! Even though they make me look like Sporty Spice, they fill a gap in my PJ wardrobe and are infinitely classier looking than my other pairs. So instead of jumping on my bed today, I thought I'd lounge around in my boudoir, feeling classy.


Welcome everyone - and in a final effort to crank up the raciness factor of this post, you'll see I'm reading Mr Alan Bennett in bed. Grrr!!   

31 comments:

  1. Great looking PJ's. Love the fabric. I think the piping looks fine too. I enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Jane! Thank you so much for joining in the fun. Your PJs look great and I don't think you need worry about your piping - they look great to me. I'm off to change back into my Tofino pants ... mid-afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, got into mine about 5 o'clock too! x

      Delete
  3. I really Like your PJ's the fabric is gorgeous and I think the piping is perfect too. Love reading all of your posts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fabric, love the pjs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the fabric! Good to know about the piping. Myself I like the look of it but was concerned about the comfort of it, which I saw someone else note. I want to make a pair of pants with flat piping I think to get the look but avoid any discomfort!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look lovely. I think quilting cotton is fabulous for PJ's! I wonder if you could use a folded strip of bias binding (which is really piping without the stringy bit) peeking out the seam? Perhaps something silky would be rather luxe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good idea, you'd get the edge of colour, without the bulk. Thanks! x

      Delete
  7. I love that fabric - so sweet! It's too bad the piping is to stiff, it looks good in photos anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Size 6? Size 6! Do you never eat girl??? I don't think I've been size 6 since that was my age. Anyway, I digress, thanks for this - I've been meaning to make some PJ bottoms, and the only thing that was putting me off this pattern was the piping, but now you've said you wish you'd left it out, that's exactly what I'll do. Or use a different pattern I guess.
    They look lovely, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't take their make up off for bed x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must point out that the size 6 I refer to is a Sewaholic size 6, definitely NOT a UK size! And that's only my hips, as Sewaholic patterns are cut for pear shaped women, hence the hip sizes are always larger than a standard pattern (and bust sizes smaller).
      And yes, full make-up in bed - what a slattern! x

      Delete
  9. I think we need a photo of you doing street dance please! I for one really like the piping and the fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And believe me, a photo of me doing street dance would not be a pretty sight! x

      Delete
    2. Pipped to the post! I was also going to request some street dance, or maybe as the 80s lover you are a spot of breakdance? But that's not to say I think your pjs look like a piped track suit at all. I think they look cute as pie. Just like you....

      Delete
    3. Thanks angel! Maybe just for you I'll set up a stunning photo shoot of me breakdancing on a piece of Lino.... maybe...! x

      Delete
  10. Fabulous pjs! Love your classy pics too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous, and the PJs aren't bad either!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous pants! i love the print!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane, I love the fabric but I am with you on the piping. As a big fan of Alan Bennett myself, I think he makes perfect bedtime reading.

    http://asaucystitch.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great PJ pants! However, they would look more romantic without piping. As a very romantic person and lover of flower fabrics, PJs can never be romantic enough... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are awesome! Not tracky pant style at all. I love the fabric. So bummed I didn't take part this year. All these cute pyjamas are making me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely pjs. Also admire your cushions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are really cute. I love the fabric and don't think they look like track pants at all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha, I know exactly what you mean. I have the pattern (was going to do the sew-along, but haven't even got round to prepping yet!) and am still trying to make up my mind over whether to drop the piping altogether or only use the thinnest of piping (taking the cording out so that the piping contrast sits flat)... I love the PJs face on and back, but sideways, images of track and field rather than bed definitely spring to mind! And as they're for my daughter, if she decides she doesn't like them, she won't wear them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a couple of other pairs in the sewalong with flat piping (presume with the cording taken out as you describe) and they look much better. I'm tempted to go down that route next time - or leave it out altogether! x

      Delete
  19. Super cute! I would never mistake your PJs for track pants, although that's something to think about if using a solid color... Now you need a cozy flannel pair for winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, a flannel pair are definitely on my list! x

      Delete
  20. You're welcome! You are one steamy mrs in bed with Alan. What will your husband say??? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He won't say a word.... he knows he can't possibly compete with Mr Bennett! x

      Delete
  21. Ooh, love 'em! I am with you, I want my lounging PJs comfy. Otherwise what's the point. I do hope to make a pair someday, I need to just suck it up and do it, and get over the feeling that I don't want to bother sewing PJs. Because I do desperately need some that aren't practically threadbare and wouldn't make the mailman cringe. :P

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aw, I definitely didn't think tracksuit bottoms until you mentioned it! Looking great Jane.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...