Thursday 20 June 2013

Floral Betty top


Recently I saw this picture of Betty Draper wearing a floral print sleeveless blouse and knew immediately I had to make it. As well as being a ridiculously pretty blouse, I happened to have the perfect fabric AND the perfect pattern in my stash. And you don't have to be a rocket scientist to guess which pattern I had in mind - yup, vintage Simplicity 4238. This is my third version of this blouse (other versions here and here), but it's a great shape and a great fit - so why not?! 



Now those of you who know me well will testify to the fact that this next picture of me reading a map is laugh out loud funny. Why? Because despite being the proud owner of a geography O level, I'm absolutely hopeless at directions and spend my whole life getting lost. Poor Karen and Winnie have both been the hapless victims of my shocking sense of direction, politely biting their tongues whilst I lose myself and us in central London (where I've only lived for a mere 20 years...)

             

Back to the blouse....The fabric is a Liberty print cotton from one of the goody bags kindly supplied by Minerva Crafts at the epic blogger meet up in April. I'd initially received a set of crochet hooks in my goody bag and after bemoaning the fact that I don't crochet to Sally from Charity Shop Chic, she very kindly offered to swap bags. Just another instance of how awesome sewing bloggers are. If I'd received Liberty fabric in my goody bag, you'd have had to prise it from my fingers, but no, she happily handed it over without a murmur. Thank you SSOO much Sally! There was only a metre of fabric, but that's the great thing about his pattern - a metre is all that's required.  As soon as I saw the Betty picture, I knew immediately that I would use the goody bag fabric to recreate it. My fabric has a bit more red and blue in it and perhaps not as much green and yellow, but it's a pretty good match. 


The vintage pearly buttons were gifted to me by another blogger and I'm ashamed to say I can't remember who. If you recognise them as precious buttons you gave to an ungrateful wretch named Jane, then please let me know and I'll give you the credit you so rightfully deserve! I used vintage pink bias binding for the insides of the sleeves which gives the blouse a wonderfully girly finish. 


And talking of girly, look what was printed on the wrapper? You're invited to write in for trims and scraps to make dolls clothes with! Aw! 


Although I made exactly the same size, this blouse is a looser fit than my last version, as the stretch cotton I used last time really yanked you into position. It's still a good, fitted shape overall though, thanks to the trillions of darts. I haven't tried it tucked in but I suspect it passes the test, how can you go wrong with such lovely fabric? 

Not much more to say about it really, except that it has the potential to be a versatile little number this summer, especially with all those reds and blues in the fabric. And it looks good with shorts too, thanks for the outfit suggestion Betty! x


45 comments:

  1. Love the top, love the pattern! When I saw the first top you made using this pattern, I fell in love with it, had to buy the pattern for myself, I just love the retro fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you - so pleased my first one inspired you to buy the pattern! x

      Delete
  2. I love this! And it's definitely official now. You are THE CUTENESS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's gorgeous! I love the way that everything you make for yourself is very 'Jane', you know your style and you've got it just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Very pretty and girly, perfect! You just can't go wrong with liberty fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic blouse - the material is perfect and suits you to a T!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very welcome! I still haven't used the crochet hooks...
    That fabric was definitely more you than me... gorgeous blouse and very Betty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was destined to become this blouse! Thanks again. x

      Delete
  7. Wow! I can't believe how similar the fabric and pattern is to Betty's! It's lovely, when I first saw that episode I loved her in that outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a fantastic version of the blouse and probably much more practical than the dresses Mad Men usually inspires - lovely as they are. (Don't think I'd have parted with that fabric either, it's great :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry! I think you're right - I've already worn this blouse a couple of times (in fact I'm wearing it today!) whereas the Joan wiggle dress I made for a Mad Men challenge still hasn't been worn...! x

      Delete
  9. Great version of this blouse. It really is a good knock off Betty Draper's blouse. I am geographical challenged as well, so can easily identify with getting lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Geographically challenged' - I like that, sounds so much better than 'hopeless with maps'! x

      Delete
  10. Love the top and such beautiful fabric too. I need to invest in some liberty prints. Just finished watching season 4 of Mad Men and it is inspirational source of ideas. Although I'm not sure which character gets the best clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too cute! I can't believe you didn't use the Betty bending over in the car shot for us...heehee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blouse is lovely! However, can I tell you that I was one of those little girls who sent the pkgs and a dime in to receive the scraps! You've brought back a wonderful memory so thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, really?!! That's wonderful! I debated whether to include that detail in the blog post - I'm so glad I did now! x

      Delete
  13. Gorgeous, very Betty! And such a good idea to make lots of versions of a pattern that works.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so sweet Jane and I love that you have Betty's 'exact' outfit...how cute are you!?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely blog post, Jane - such happy reading. And your blouse is truly pretty, pretty, pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! And, it's from one of my favorite episodes this season! And, bonus: I have that same Liberty print! Thank you, Jane, for showing me the way. It looks so beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh - that's the perfect summer blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I knew right away after looking at her photo what pattern you were going to use. :D Adorable! Gosh I just love Liberty prints, but I just can't seem to get over the price tag as I feel I'll then be afraid to cut into it. This print is so fun and summery as a blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  19. SUCH a cute blouse! I've been so inspired by Betty's same outfit - I recently bought a vintage shorts and a sleeveless blouse pattern to try my hand and recreating it. Thanks for even more inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's super cute and one of the best recreations I've seen. Have fun wearing it this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! You really couldn't have gone wrong with that print, though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! The print is almost exactly the same! That was a great find.
    http://rosiewednesday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's such a good feeling when you have the perfect fabric in your stash. Such a beautiful print and blouse

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was quick work that episode was only on the other day! Love that bias binding wrapper.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks EXACTLY the same! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That really is just the perfect fabric for a Betty top... and only a metre of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is adorable. I love Betty's clothes in Mad Men, and I think your version is to die for! I have inherited a whole shoebox's worth of vintage bias tape, so I love that you incorporated some into your vintage inspired top! You've definitely encouraged me to do the same as soon as I get on with garment sewing :-D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tres chic! But most importantly an every day beauty. It reminds me that I used to have a thing for sleeveless floral ( me made) blouses and shorts ( oh yeah, shorts must be my fave item of clothing in the summer) before I worked full time.....but I never had the delight of a vintage pattern and Liberty though. This is special!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic job on the blouse - it really looks like Betty's! And, I very much like the modeling as well:) Great job on this!

    ReplyDelete
  30. So lovely! Gorgeous blouse :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh! I have a metre of fabric that would be perfect! I will have to go back and re-read your post to see if you mentioned the pattern number. We look to be about the same size, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your blouse is gorgeous! I love the fabric, and was looking at it on the Minerva Crafts website just last night.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love this top! I'll have to see what kind of pattern
    stash my Mom has yet....she just might have this one. If not, I will be on the hunt for one
    or something similar as it also reminds me of a couple of sale blouses my late mil got me
    SEVERAL years ago....still love em and wear em.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely blouse! I was also a little girl who received a package of trims, I remember my mom sending away for it back in the 1970's. It probably cost more than a dime by then, but I remember being very excited when it arrived, and being particularly thrilled with a wide piece of gold brocade trim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, another little girl who received a pack of scrap trims! Hoorah! x

      Delete
  35. I love it, and the fabric! I have some yellow floral tana lawn bought for softie clothing that has never worked out, might well have to make a shirt! Bethx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love this and you have inspired me to start my handmade clothes journey....thank you!

    Hope you don't mind but I have mentioned you in my post and nicked your pics....but all with links to you.

    Thanks for the inspiration xx

    Scheduled for tomorrow on http://noraathome.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all, I'm very flattered, thank you! Good luck with your blouse and your sewing journey! x

      Delete
  37. As usual, another stunning success! You know,I am going to have to give and and watch that series,I have never seen it although have heard plenty about it. I seem to be missing a lot of perfectly charming clothes. I had better get with it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...