Tuesday 7 May 2013

1950's sleeveless top revisited

I have a soft spot for sleeveless 1950's tops. Or to be specific, I have a soft spot for button fronted, notched collared, darted sleeveless tops made from vintage 1950's patterns. Tops like this one


I made this first version almost exactly two years ago and I love it, even though it's far, far from perfect. I completely lost my way constructing the collar and ended up doing my own thing. It's made from cheap, shoddy gingham which I didn't even attempt to match up. Nothing is interfaced etc etc. I'm getting very critical here (sorry top) but the thing is, none of that matters because I love it to death, it's one of my most worn handmade items and is just so perfectly me it's ridiculous. So when I was going through the remains of my stash (which is reducing at an alarming rate I'm happy to report) and found just under a metre of navy stretch polka dot fabric, I knew exactly how it could be put to good use. I would make another sleeveless top from the same pattern (vintage Simplicity 4238). 


The fabric, which is left over from my Ruby dress, is awesome. It's got a slight stretch to it which is perfect for fitted garments as it yanks you in. And because it's medium weight and holds its shape pretty well, I didn't have to bother with interfacing. 



I was pretty inexperienced in sewing with vintage patterns when I made my first version so it was good to be able to come back to the pattern with a bit more experience under my belt.  Instructions that made no sense whatsoever two years ago, suddenly became crystal clear. I still really like the pattern details too, lots of strategically placed darts (12 in total) which give a great 1950's shape. 


I used pale blue vintage fish eye buttons. Normally I'd go for white or red buttons with navy but fancied a change. Plus, they're a perfect match with this cardigan….

On Brighton beach with my boy

Talking of buttons, buttonhole placements on patterns never quite manage to be in the right place for my shape. More often than not there's a bit of gaping, which is really frustrating when the rest of the make is perfect.  This time, I followed the brilliant advice Sunni from A Fashionable Stitch gave on buttonhole placement here and it worked a treat, no gaping whatsoever.

Verdict? Love it!

I've already cut out another gingham version and I'm now thinking I might need to make yet another version in white. A white sleeveless top is supremely handy to have in the wardrobe and would be a good match for my yellow Miette skirt (inspired by Marie's lovely styling here). Actually the navy polka dot version would go well with the Miette skirt too… it seems to go with everything else! Enjoy the sunshine while it lasts. x

49 comments:

  1. I love it. I love it. I love it. Totally fantastic shaping and who could resist navy polka dots? Did I say I love it?
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great - I can imagine it dressed up or down so maximum wear due to versatility. Thanks to the link for "critical button placement" I'll be referring to this in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeep, love it Jane! You could have an 'army' of these blouses in all colours and prints and I bet you'd wear them in a steady rotation. Also, 12 darts!?! Wow! But that's what makes this blouse so sweet I guess! Oh and thanks for the mention ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Ooh, sleeveless blouses. Thanks Jane, you just made my sewing list even longer, lol.

    Oh, and in 7 years of sewing I don't think I've ever used the button placement guides with a pattern. My usual method is try it on, stick a pin at the point along the bustline where it would gape, then space evenly from there down. Always seems to have done the trick so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I can't believe I've been so law abiding for so long and just meekly used the pattern's buttonhole placements! There's no going back now though! x

      Delete
  5. that's gorgeous! i love it with the pale blue buttons! isn't it great to see how much you've come on in sewing since your last version? i'm planning to make another sorbetto (the first 2 garments i ever made!) so hopefully it'll be the same for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read your blog regularly, and look forward to your new posts. Thanks for the tip on buttonhole placements. That shirt looks divine on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! So perfectly you, just like the first one you made. I love the photo of you two on the beach, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely and versatile top. I really like the pale blue buttons and the way you styled it with jeans and those fabulous red shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great-looking top, Jane! Your fitting and sewing skills have improved. And you have lost weight, too! Love the snap of you and your son on the beach. Wishing you well...Laura from Texas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this top is great! It's so satisfying to make the same garment again after you've learnt a bit more, everything seems to snap into place. Love the picture of you and your son on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having pawed it in real life, you know I love the blouse. And YESSSS to wearing it with your yellow skirt, that would be so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The top is a stunner! And I love those red sandals too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it is a lovely top and one that will get a lot of wear. It is perfectly shaped, I guess it would have to be after 12 darts! I love the buttons too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I NEED to make myself a gingham shirt like that - that pic just made me jealous of something so light and airy, and pretty too. It's gorgeous. And so is the polka dot. Love your choice of buttons. And thank you so much for the link to the advice on button placement! Also jealous of you being on Brighton beach....I miss beaches, I live in central Arizona now, no more being able to drive to the sea within 3 hours from anywhere in the UK. I hope summer is kind to you (ie. actually happens).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, we are lucky being able to get to the sea so easily, I mustn't take it for granted! x

      Delete
  15. Very, very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww that photo of you both in the beach is ace.. Love the blouse

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blouse is gorgeous, I love the shape of the darts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect, just perfect. I love the shaping with all those darts. The only way you could possibly improve upon gingham is with polka dots :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love both versions Jane!!! They're beautiful. Off now to look for something similar maybe with a wee cap sleeve

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I love this! I really really want this blouse! It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, isn't it funny how the projects you run together quickly turn out to be loved favourites :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like your sleeveless tops! Really very flattering fit!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You made it very well and wear it beautifuilly. Wish I were thin enough to wear it so well! Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love em!...this blog too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This shirt looks great! You do vintage patterns so well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So lovely! I'm so glad I got to see it :-) I also have this pattern in my stash to sew up this summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely!And a plain white one would just be perfect - make two! I am serious - you will wear it so much it will look like a grey rag before the summer is out and you will need a back-up!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You know what, I'm going to do exactly that! I've got two metres of the white fabric and was wondering what to do with the remainder - I'll make two! Brilliant advice, thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ohh! This is simply lovely! The robin's egg blue with the navy is quite teh treat!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Jane, this looks lovely and so you - well done! Love the styling with jeans and red sandals, too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm really rather envious, it looks great and you can see how all those darts really add to the fit and finished shape. I'm itching to do some vintage pattern sewing, I just need to loose a few more pounds first! Love the fabric choice as well. Beth/thelinencat xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very pretty blouse, and such a cute beach snap! Also thank you for the tip (and link) on button placement. Not only have I visited Sunni's site but I've gone and bought myself a Simflex gauge... Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I bought myself one too - couldn't resist! I haven't regretted it so far! x

      Delete
  33. This is so lovely! And lovely on you! I wore a lot of these tops growing up, and I miss them. I must make myself one. These type of tops are so versatile and flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh! I have this pattern out as a possible project for summer. It's so nice to hear your positive review of it and to see how nicely it's held up over the last two years.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Well that is just perfectly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oooh snap -I've just posted a 'Me Made' B&W gingham shirt too!
    http://vintagerockchick-gill.blogspot.co.uk/
    I cheated and used a modern pattern though - but I did dye my own buttons. Both versions of your shirts are lovely, I really must try using a vintage pattern soon.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Absolutely love this shirt. It's so you! I bet when you first started you groaned at all those darts too. But how amazingly do they sculpt that shape. I'm far more appreciative of those little touches now too. Love the colour of the buttons and adore that picture of you and your son. Oh! So much gorgeousness!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lovely! The button placement link is so useful thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. All I can say is very cute, I love the shirt pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Ah it's lovely! Great in the polka dots. Not sure I've got the patience for 12 darts, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  41. And another gem I most defintiely am glad to have caught up with. Sooo pretty and nice polka dot coverage. Looks to be one of those really useful wear it in all occasions tops. Hope you get on ok with the 50s pattern I left for you...it's similar but different. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding me about that pattern! I've got plans for it....! x

      Delete
  42. Really L O V E this blouse can't find the pattern in my size though (Bust 34) will be scouring the internet till I find one. LynnieO

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...