Wednesday 21 November 2012

Striped kimono sleeved top


Last February I had serious top envy after seeing Kathryn's gorgeous striped kimono sleeved top. As per usual, I wanted one exactly the same, but the pattern was from Burda which inevitably meant it went to the bottom of my sewing queue. I don't know about you, but a morning spent printing out twelfty sheets of paper and sellotaping them together, then adding a seam allowance is not my idea of fun. The printed sheets had been languishing in a cupboard for months on end, until my new found sewing-with-knits obsession had me hunting feverishly for them.  I gritted my teeth, put the pattern together and a few hours later, I had my very own kimono sleeved striped top. Hoorah!

Burda Striped Top 108A



Because the sleeves are incorporated into the front and back pieces, the top is ridiculously fast to make. Sadly, I only had one metre of striped jersey, so had to cut the back with a seam up the middle and the sleeves a little shorter. After cutting out, it probably took about half an hour to sew together the main body of the top and that included patiently matching stripes as I pinned the front and back together. I predict that with a plain or non-striped knit, this would take about half that time to sew. Finishing the neck probably took another hour… I originally added a neckline piece of self fabric, but seeing it in the mirror made me realise I didn't actually like the height of the neckline at all. I removed it, lowered the neckline slightly and added a strip of red bias binding.  My fabric is a cheap Goldhawk Road buy and is pretty stretchy and drapey, so the neckline is a bit looser than I'd like. Not loose enough for me to change it again though, I'm quite happy to wear it the way it is.

Apologies if this shot gives you a headache, it's almost impossible to photograph this fabric without creating a mad psychedelic effect

I really like the way the stripes look on the kimono sleeves

I made a Burda size 38 and it's a nice tight fit, which is what I was after. The length is very long though - when I originally tried it on it looked exactly like dresses I used to wear circa 1986 i.e. arse skimming. I'd have modelled it for you, but sadly didn't have a pair of waxed Doc Marten shoes handy to complete the look.  I'm particularly pleased with the chevron effect on the arms, which is a mixture of a bit of half hearted stripe matching and a lucky fluke.

If you're new to sewing with knits and want a fast, easy make, then this is a great pattern to build your confidence with. Talking of knits, my Peony-esque dress has been an astounding success. I've barely taken it off since I made it, and that was only to wash it! I definitely need to make another one, which is why I'm watching the letterbox like a hawk, waiting for the two knit dress patterns I ordered after my last post to arrive.  More details once they've been delivered and pawed over... x

40 comments:

  1. Ooh,I like that a lot, Jane. Might have to download that one myself. Very flattering on you! How sweet that you found time for a quick read during your photoshoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I chose that book because the cover is black and white with a bit of red running through the middle - just like my top!! I know, very sad... I did get strangely drawn into it again whilst I was taking the photos so I may have to re-read it! x

      Delete
  2. Very nice! Looks like a great pattern you could make again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The red is definitely a nice touch, and the chevron sleeve pattern is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy! Any excuse to include red...x

      Delete
  4. The chevron pattern on the sleeves is lovely and I totally know what you mean about Burda patterns!!!

    Happy sewing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharp! Really sharp. I love the neck edging with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh thank you! I don't think I've ever made anything described as 'sharp', you've made my day! x

      Delete
  6. Love it! Looks like a nice simple top. The sleeves are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, the sleeves are my fave bit too! x

      Delete
  7. It looks awesome! It's such a versatile pattern, I used it to make two jersey dresses with as well just by cutting it off at the waist line and adding an a-line skirt. Also I shortened the sleeves to elbow length and finished them off with cuffs like the Sewaholic Renfrew.

    The thing about Burda is they're such a pain to trace off that once you've done it you feel obliged to make the most of the pattern! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the original inspiration. Now I like the sound of cutting it off at the waist and adding an A line skirt - perfect! You're so right about Burda patterns, I'll be using this pattern until it falls apart to cancel out the trauma of putting it together! x

      Delete
  8. The chevron effect on the sleeves is fantastic!

    I'd copy that look in flash (right down to the red bias) but you're safe as I just know I'd never have your patience to sellotape all the pieces of the pattern together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it took me 8 months to gather together enough patience...! x

      Delete
  9. So great! I love the red neckline... didn't know you could use bias binding on knits!! I have become an overnight bias binding enthusiast since replacing my facings for the Maudella dress with self bias, and now I want to use it on EVERYTHING.... now that I know I can use it on knits too, you've made my day - HURRAH!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've replaced facings with bias binding before and its magical isn't it?! Not sure if it's totally orthodox using it on knits but bias binding is stretchy so it seems to work! x

      Delete
  10. I like the red neckline, I love kimono sleeves a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done! The fit and cut look fabulous, and I'm super impressed with the matching on the arms. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Julia. Believe me, the matching on the arms involved a lot of good luck but I'm pretty delighted with the final result! x

      Delete
  12. It looks fab! I love the red neck edging and the chevron sleeves. I admire your skills with print-out patterns, they do my head in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne! Yes, they do my head in, which is why I only make about one a year! x

      Delete
  13. I also like the red neckline- nice detail!
    Great result for an easy sew with cheap fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karin, I'm all for an easy sew with cheap fabric! x

      Delete
  14. I love this - the fit, style and the stripes! It's so like my vintage kimono sleeve pattern that I blogged about recently. I might have to give it another go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh very interesting, it IS very similar to your vintage pattern. I love the way you added a skirt to it in its second incarnation too. In fact.... the measurements you gave are pretty much identical to mine, so I may just have to do a straight copy! x

      Delete
    2. It was VERY simple. I was amazed. Question: Is the reason that the sleeves have that cool bias thing happening because they're part of the bodice? I'm wondering if there's mystery to making those stripes align diagonally like that. I love it.

      Delete
    3. No, there's no mystery, they're part of the bodice and because the arms are angled, the stripes run diagonally rather than straight across like the front and back. When I pinned the front and back together, the bias stripes just did their own cool chevron thing without me having to do much at all! I just lined the stripes up now and again and they turned out great! It's very simple and definitely worth giving it a try. x

      Delete
  15. ooooh...I like this a lot! Very smart, loving the kimono sleeves, I may have to get over myself and print the 20 million pages and sticky tape them to get my own version!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, do it, the quickness of sewing it makes up for the horror of sellotaping the pattern together! x

      Delete
  16. It was worth the work, you look wonderful in it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that sewing with knits has really taken off around the blogs recently...I was feeling a bit lonely over the summer when I was experimenting with tank tops and the like! This is a gorgeous top and well worth the printing / adding seam allowance etc effort! The chevron effect on the sleeves is just brilliant...love it on you ane!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. Yes, I'm quite pleased to finally join the sewing with knits club! x

      Delete
  18. I just love the way the stripes change directions at the arms and the hint of red at the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great top, Jane. I remember bookmarking this one at the time. I think it's just moved up the list! I love the red trim and the chevron effect on the sleeves. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving the sleeve chevrons and the top in general. Also, have to say, I rather like your tights! Bethx

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG!!! Love this top! It's amazing and you look awesome as always xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...