Tuesday 23 October 2012

Posh fabric acquisition


I've yet to travel down the slippery slope of making anything for my other half. Mainly because I'm totally selfish and it would be precious sewing time taken away from ME, but also because my husband has expensive tastes when it comes to clothes. I'm not joking when I say that he could single handedly keep Paul Smith in business. He's canny though, and always seems to know when posh sample sales are on, which has its advantages...

A few weeks ago he asked if I wanted to come to a Margaret Howell sample sale he'd heard about. Margaret Howell's designs are beautifully tailored and well cut, but they're not really to my taste - they're also ridiculously expensive. I decided to go along anyway, just to see what all the fuss was about. Whilst Jon was feverishly rummaging through the menswear, I decided to see what else they were selling. To my delight, I discovered they were flogging off roll ends of Margaret Howell fabric in a back room. Yes! I sharpened my elbows and managed to fight my way to the till with a roll of drapey navy gingham in a tiny little print - I bought 3m, probably enough for a dress and a top of some sort.  


I also found the most exquisite grey trouser fabric. It was described as 'trousering' but I can't use that word without sniggering - it sounds like the sort of word Joe Orton would drop into the conversation…. 


Anyway, the 'trousering' really was the end of the roll and there was only 1.5 metres left. Not enough for a pair of Thurlow's unfortunately, but as it's 60" wide and I'm a shorty, I fully intend to squeeze another pair of Simplicity 3688 wide legged trousers out of it. The photos don't do these fabrics justice, the quality is superb, they just feel expensive!

And the best bit? My fabrics were all £5 a metre. I nearly cried with joy when I was paying. Jon also bagged two pairs of trousers for £60 each. Expensive for trousers you might think, but not when the average price for a pair of similar trousers on her website is about £300.  All in all, a good day's work.  xx

21 comments:

  1. Yes, trousering is definitely snigger worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought you were going to be sewing for him! great finds tho. i love your posh taste in fabric - i am still hankering after some double gauze after seeing your gorgeous alma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, no chance I'm afraid! I did hem the trousers for him - that's the furthest extent of my generosity! x

      Delete
  3. £5 a metre? Bargainaceous! You lucky, lucky thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I *love* the gingham! I have a serious weakness for it. What a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness, you both bagged yourself a bargain by the looks and sounds of it! I can't believe they were selling off fabric, goes to show that it pays to be open minded about going places etc...note to self to be more open minded in future ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowzers! What a bargain! It would have been rude not to buy that gorgeous fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great bargain! And yes, 'trousering' is a real oddity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How serendipitous, and exciting, I am there with you experiencing your utter delight!! But like the others I also thought they were going to turn out to be for Jon, so was extra gleeful that they are for you too !!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. £5 a metre?! I am eating my heart out! Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh well done! There used to be regular designer fabric sales in Balfe Street near Kings Cross...? Worth investigating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trousering? *snigger* That be some epic fabric finds there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done, great bargains, nice gingham and a right good trousering!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vunderbar! Nothing make me happier than a cheap price on an expensive fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice scores! I will try to use 'trousering' in a sentence tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great bargains, and very useful looking as well as posh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh lovely!! Great find and how wonderful you can use the fabric for you, and that hubby still gets pants to boot! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, gorgeous! I'm totally the same with being possesive of my sewing time and not making anything for David. Though I have promised to mend my ways...at some point :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You lucked out there Jane. lol... trousering!...that's a first on me!!! The gingham is so you x

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...