Saturday 22 September 2012

GeoCentric Bag

When Annie from The Village Haberdashery first featured the GeoCentric fabric range on her blog, I commented that the cotton canvas base cloth looked perfect for bag making. When the fabric arrived in her shop, she contacted me and asked if I'd be interested in testing out its bag making potential. Yes please!  A few days later, this arrived: half a metre of a large scale herringbone pattern in a vibrant orange. 

Zigzag in coral
I paired it with a dusty blue lining cotton to make a shopper-style bag. The pattern is from an old copy of Sew Hip and is a straightforward, no nonsense pattern for a lined bag. I've adapted it over time and fiddled with the dimensions, but it's basically the same pattern I use to make the larger bags I sell at my craft fairs. 


I don't make many bags of this size, not because they're tricky to make, but because of the amount of fabric involved. They require half a metre of outer fabric, half a metre of lining fabric and usually some kind of canvas interfacing to go between the two layers to give the bag a bit of structure. This all adds up, so they're not actually very cost effective, but they're quietly popular and I generally sell two or three per fair.


One thing I wanted to test was how the weight of the Geocentric fabric fared. It was sturdy enough to hold its own with just the lining fabric, and I didn't need to add interfacing, which is a big bonus. It's similar in weight to the decor weight fabric you sometimes find in Ikea, so perfect for bags of all descriptions, as well as aprons and cushion covers.  

As a next project, I'd like to use these fabrics for iPad covers, coupled with a cotton lining fabric and some kind of fleece interfacing. They're a good weight (you don't want anything too flimsy when it comes to protecting your precious iPad) and the pattern designs are classic. I'll let you know how I get on with that idea. In the meantime, I just have to choose from the delectable colours and patterns on offer. 

Circles in Turquoise

Tridents in Daffodil

Have a good weekend. x

Fabric for this project was provided free of charge by The Village Haberdashery. All views my own.

13 comments:

  1. So striking! I would buy that bag if I saw it at a craft fair! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh i do like these prints, might have to purchase some for a bag of my own. Yours looks great with the contrast lining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should, especially with your fine bag making skills! x

      Delete
  3. This is very cool Jane, it would definitely catch my eye if on sale anywhere near me ;o) I think the iPad cases sound like a winner too...let us know how you get on with them!

    Oh any by the way, I just finished a baby blanket using your tutorial, so keep your eyes open for a blog post about it tomorrow ;o) It's a great tutorial Jane, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie! I've just seen your baby blanket and it's GORGEOUS! So chuffed you used my tutorial. x

      Delete
  4. Wow! Those prints are lovely! I can see some going in my shopping basket soon! I like your double stitching on the bag in contrast thread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mimi, they are lovely aren't they, I'll definitely be succumbing soon too! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, great colours and looks like a perfect size and shape for shopping. Will keep an eye out at the next craft fair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too made a few lovely bags (from oil cloth)just like yours not so long ago. And I am selling them to.
    I will go and made a canvas bag just like yours.. see ruthmade.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just been to look at your bags, they're fab, especially the gingham one! x

      Delete
  8. There is something very pure and pleasing about the lines, the crispness and the feeling of organisation this brings. Really like it! It's the perfect fabric for the style of bag in terms of scale as well. Happy making!! X

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...