Wednesday 21 December 2011

Last sewing of the year

When I was little, one of the things I really looked forward to at Christmas was getting brand new pyjamas on Christmas Eve.  To me, they were a signal that Father Christmas was almost here.  I've kept the same tradition with my own boys, but this year decided to make their PJ bottoms myself.
10 points if you can identify who's on the bike in the picture
I used flannel because it's so cosy and managed to find fabric for both boys on the Goldhawk Road.  I got some cute as a button digger fabric for Charlie for £2.50 a metre and slightly more grown up tartan fabric for Louis at £4 a metre.

To make them,  I copied a pair of their existing PJ bottoms, using this easy tutorial which  I first saw on Stitch and Witter's blog. Sadly, the easy bit was making them, trying to get a decent picture of my two was the difficult bit.  This was what 99% of the photos ended up looking like....

.... and forget asking them to smile....

Despite all their gurning, they both really love them (I'm sure it's the cosiness of flannel) but I don't think they'll be brand new and pristine on Christmas Eve.  Having strong armed them into modelling them for me, they now flatly refuse to take them off!

That's my last sewing of the year, I'll be back with a round-up after the Christmas frenzy has calmed down. Enjoy your time off during the festive period everybody.  Looking forward to catching up in the New Year. x

23 comments:

  1. Love the jammy bottoms Jane - I have the same tradition. In fact my mum should have a pair with my name on them right now waiting for me! They look so cosy and comfy.

    Is it George Best? Belfast's finest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you're too good, I thought my rubbish blurry photography skills would fox everyone. It is indeed gorgeous George in his prime!
    Enjoy your new jim jams Joanne. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel the same way about christmas pajamas - it's the ONLY time i get new pajamas all year, and i feel sad if i don't get any that year! lol

    wish my mama would make me some pajamas!

    love these pictures :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so sweet! They look really chuffed with their new jammies :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them!

    Funnily enough we started the same tradition with our girls when they were little, and I may well make theirs next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these! And you've reminded me that I need to finish a couple for my sisters, though it'll have to wait for their birthdays in a few months :)

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the joys of new pj's! and both boys look thoroughly appreciative...thanks for sharing lovely posts, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading them :) Happy Xmas and have a lovely and productive New Year

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boys will be boys! How neat that you are carrying on the family tradition. Have a fantastic Christmas and New Year Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're great photos! I love them. Is Louis reading a Horrible Science book? If so, I edited them! I can't identify the man in the photo. Tell us, tell us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, you clearly haven't read the rest of the comments - Joanne got it in about 2 seconds - it's gorgeous George Best!
    Louis IS reading a Horrible Science book - I can't believe you identified it from the pictures. It's Blood, Bones and Body Bits to be precise, you probably know it well! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a lovely Christmas and a happy new year Jane! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're all the same, these presky models of ours aren't they. Your photos are such fun and what a seal of approval of your sewing talent.
    Merry Christmas Jane, have a happy and restful time with your family.
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane - I know that book extremely well. I think it was the second in the series, originally published well over ten years ago now. Just imagine a much younger me, sat in an office in Camden on a hot summer, editing the rough draft manuscript. Can you believe it?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jane I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely tradition... and what fabulous pjs! Lovely to see your boys being boys. Thats what makes them so great! Have a wonderful time, Jane. Lots of lovely wishes to you x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great idea, we too always had new pj's and sometimes a new dressing gown (my sister is buying ones for the boys this year). Nice to see the boys, wishing you all a very Merry Christmas, I hope it's fun and as relaxing as it can be with young ones ;) Beth/The Linen Catx

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely tradition! I think it might be too late for me to start it in our house this year... but I am sorely tempted!
    Happy Christmas to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great tradition. I'm about to make some kittie pj bottoms for my youngest, to go with a kittie T-shirt she's getting on Christmas day - but I might have to start that tradition next year! Especially as slouchy PJ bottoms are such fun and so quick to make. A welcome change from all the fitting issues and complications of sewing for oneself!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, and I forgot to say Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a great tradition and my two have asked for short PJs in pink! Well, we probably won't have to contend with "Horrible Science" books but you never know with kids (mine are both girls). Summer here anyway so shortie PJs it will be in the new year. And yes, in pink. I suspect I will have as much trouble getting cooperative models too ..... cute no matter what.

    Happy Festive Season.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...