Sunday 26 September 2010

The story so far

Almost exactly a year ago, my younger son started school and I started the dressmaking course I'd been promising myself I'd take for ages. I absolutely loved the course and can't quite believe how much I've learnt in just a year. I also discovered sewing blogs and have become completely hooked - I'm naturally nosy which helps!  I really wanted to join in the fun, so here's my blog: a record of everything I make, the good, the bad and the ugly.

The first thing I want to show off is my Colette Patterns Sencha top.


When I first saw this pattern I wasn't particularly bowled over by the pictures on the cover. Then I came across a beautiful version made by Tilly (author of one of my favourite sewing blogs "Tilly and the Buttons") and was immediately converted. Tilly's version looked so retro and 50's and I really wanted mine to have a similar look.

If I make the top again (which I will), I'll make it with a fabric with more drape in it.  The way the top is described on the pattern, it's probably intended to be a looser fit than I made, so it can be tucked in. I used a medium-weight quilting cotton which does tend to be quite crisp.  Having said that though, it gives the top quite a fitted, structured look,  in a Joan from Mad Men kind of way.

The original neckline was WAY too high, I was panic stricken just trying to do the fitting, thinking I couldn't breath.  I lowered it by about 3cm, which keeps the neckline high but doesn't strangle you in the process.
I made buttonholes for the first time and my own covered buttons.
 
I'll definitely use a Colette pattern again.  I'm really pleased with my version which I've actually worn in real life.  I'll let you know if I get round to making another one....

11 comments:

  1. Lovely blog and lovely blouse! I'm off to have a look at Tilly's blog now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! I think I may have to try out that pattern now as well. I'm developing a stockpile of Colette patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! I've been wanting to make a blouse along those lines for a while now so perhaps I will have to spring for the pattern. Your version is perfect. I love the color and the polka dots.

    {shalyn}
    http://arsgratiaartis-shalyn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Shalyn, I really like the colour and the dots too. I'd definitely recommend Collette patterns, they're a dream to work from and they look fab too (like little old fashioned books!) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love your handmade wardrobe page! This blouse is to die for!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane. Can you recommend the dressmaking course you attended? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, it was a very basic beginner's clothes making course run by Hammersmith and Fulham council. The aim of the course was to make a garment from scratch using a commercial pattern during the course of the term. It was a pretty useful starting point and I'd definitely recommend something similar if you don't live in the same area. Good luck! x

      Delete
  7. The great Jansen Display Snap Frames is hands down the best place to do your custom framing!! They have an outstanding eye for color, style, arrangement & coordination. My girly nursery is going to look so sweet with all of their help! I will recommend him to everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SOSav was really personable and honest about his repair. He fixed my husband’s iPhone so quick and in front of us. Highly recommend his services! The phone works perfect and looks brand new. We really appreciated his knowledge and customer service. Thanks SOSav iPhone Repair!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy 7th birthday! I must admit, I love your newsletter and look forward to receiving it every time, but I'm very guilty of forgetting to visit your blog! I promise to visit more often!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was very impressed with this website keep posting more on this, It was very appreciable for us.
    Hotmail

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...